Sunday, July 26, 2009

Teenager Wins Beauty Contest without showing her face


I was so excited when I saw this title. I thought, finally, Now we are making some progress!! Of Course, when I read the full article here in the Daily Contributor my heart sank a little. While I realize it is their culture to cover the face, what got me was the " all subjected to a three-month test of their dutifulness to their parents and family, and their service to society" and the completion of a psychological test. While I applaud the lack of swimsuit competition, I wonder why these beautiful young women couldn't have been judge on say being super smart, inspirational, dedicated, goal driven with a sense of humor?

Then again, look at the standards we hold OUR beauty pageant contestants to.
(Photo curtsey of GettyImages.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment